Show #27 - 04.29.2007
[Download Show #27 as MP3]
- Days may be numbered for tax-free Internet sales
- A powerful alliance of politicians is arguing that out-of-state retailers must be required to charge sales taxes on purchases.
- The political make-up of Congress, coupled with a recently invented sales tax concept, could tip the scales to make sales collection mandatory for out-of-state retailers.
- 1 Million Blu-Ray Discs Sold
- Blu-Ray Accounts for 70% of HD discs sold
- Disney releasing Blu-Ray ONLY
- Pirates of the Caribbean 1 & 2
Software / Hardware / Power Web Picks
- Samsung Unveil's First Hybrid Hard Drives
- Hybrid Hard Drives Have Flash Memory Built onto Them
- Flash Memory Works as Real Time Cache of frequently accessed documents
- Windows Vista "ReadyBoost" takes advantage of Flash Memory
- Dell Offers Solid State Drives in some Latitude laptops
- Solid State Drives have no moving platers. Instead data is stored on flash memory inside the "drive"
- Solid State 32GB Drive from Sandisk
- $549 more than regular hard drive
- QUICK NOTE: Firefox 1.5 Reaches End of Life
- Post Recording Update: Firefox 1.5 Support Extended till Mid-May
- Time to upgrade to Firefox 2.0
- Firefox 2.0 Features Include
- Better Anti-Phishing support
- Better Security overall
- Remove Car Dents with Can Air and a Hair Dryer
- I have to say this is probably one of the coolest videos I've seen in a while
- Demonstrates how to use a can of air and hair dryer to remove dents from a car
- According to the video, this procedure is safe on the paint
- And you get to see it actually work, pretty cool.
Security & Privacy
- OpenDNS Service Makes You Computer Safer and the Address Bar Useful Again
- Lets start with the basics, What is DNS?
- Wikipedia says DNS stands for Domain Name System and stores many types of information with domain names. Most importantly it translates domain names (and computer hostnames) to IP Addresses.
- Every web address has an IP Address, and DNS is used to tie that domain name to the ip address so when you type http://www.google.com it takes you to Google's IP address. Allowing us as humans to remember names and words rather than addresses like 126.96.36.199.
- Must have an OpenDNS account. Account is free but requires email address for confirmation
- Service is Called "Shortcuts"
- This service allows you to create one word shortcuts to your favorite websites
- These shortcuts allow you to type the shortcut into the address bar to access the site rather than a bookmark or full URL
- Requires you be logged into your OpenDNS account via the web for the shortcuts to work
- To get the most out of OpenDNS and Shortcuts You need to modify your DNS information for your network connection
- Simple instructions for modifying DNS given after you confirm your account via email
- Instructions for Linux, Windows, Mac, and even Routers are given in nice screenshot detail
- Advantages to using OpenDNS
- Phishing Protecting. OpenDNS blocks Phishing websites so when you goto a website that is for Phishing you get a nice little image that says the site is blocked via OpenDNS
- Faster Name resolution.
- When you type in http://www.google.com, your DNS server (usually your internet provider) has to resolve the ip address associated with the name
- OpenDNS has a large cache of resolutions and keeps them updated
- Last but certainly not least, Typo Correction.
- For example if you type in www.gogle.com OpenDNS will correct it to www.google.com
- In Conclusion, if you are comfortable with following directions to make some changes to your system, you can really benefit from OpenDNS.
- Eternal Sonata ALSO for PS3
- Action RPG
- On October 17, 1949, Frederic Chopin, one of the most influential composers for the piano, succumbed to sickness and died at the young age of 39. Three hours prior to that, in the world according to this RPG, Chopin saw a dream of a fairy-tale land populated by people with incurable diseases but also magical powers. Eternal Sonata takes place in this dream world. Chopin comes into contact with Polka, a young girl who resides with her mother in the village of Tenuto. Polka is near her death, and Chopin, Polka, and her young friend Allegretto as they look for some way to make use of Polka's great powers to help save her. It's a whimsical fantasy, but this RPG designed by developer tri-Crescendo also a complex and combo-based battle system of swords and magic weaponry. In keeping with inspiration, music and story play a big part in Eternal Sonata. Performing the piano numbers that Chopin left to the world is Russian pianist Stanislav Bunin, with musical composition by noted game composer Motoi Sakuraba.
- HandBrake - Rips DVDs to
- Apple TV
- Red Kawa Media Center
- Stream / Download movies to your PS3
- Stream / Download music to your PS3
Editorial ("Power Up")
- Better Gmail Extention
- Greasemonkey - What it is
- Persistant Searches
- Macros (Keyboard Commands)
- Label Colors
- Filter Assistant
- Conversation Preview
- Attachment Reminder
- Attachment Icons
- DNA exonerates a man after serving 25 years for rape
- A man who spent 25 years in prison for rape was exonerated Monday as a judge threw out his convictions because DNA evidence showed he couldn't have committed the attack. An advocacy group said it was the 200th such case.
- Jerry Miller smiled and the courtroom erupted into cheers after Cook County Circuit Court Judge Diane G. Cannon read the ruling that cleared him of all charges.
- Miller, 48, had been found guilty of rape, robbery, aggravated kidnapping and aggravated battery even though he testified he was at home watching television at the time of the 1981 attack.
- Mark Ertler, deputy supervisor of the Cook County state's attorney's office DNA review unit, told the Chicago Tribune that the case was "a good example of what the DNA unit was intended to do."
OUT @ 43:00
IN @ 47:00
- Here's your chance to talk about everything from
- Cell Phones
- (909) 581-9POI / (909) 581-9-764
- Show notes / comments: powerofinformation.net
Tech Forum Talk Back
- Be Sure to visit our website at http://powerofinformation.net
- To See What Michael and I are blogging about: click on the links to our blogs at the Power of Information website
- Angelseye Inc. for donating bandwidth for our production. Angelseye Inc. specalizes in corporate branding and promotional marketing, created to help companies of all sizes promote their own businesses and events. Visit them online at http://angelseyeinc.com today.
- Special thanks to the band Pushmonkey for supplying music for our program. To find out more about Pushmonkey and their music visit http://www.myspace.com/pushmonkey and http://www.pushmonkey.com
- The Power of Information is available for download or netcast online at anytime at http://powerofinformation.net and we're on KCAA every Sunday at 9am.
- You've been listening to Power of Information on KCAA 1050 Loma Linda, CA - The station that leaves no listener behind.
OUT @ 57:50